Search This Blog

Saturday 28 October 2017

Positive progress 23/10/17

Following on from my last post where things were not going so well I am over the moon to be able to write a more positive blog this week!

I had booked Optimal equine's Rachael Barker to come out and see Jack and to also check his saddle which I thought could be a possible cause of his current issues.  She came out on Friday and started by asking me if Jack was having any problems at the moment.  I described his lack of power and engagement in the trot and my concerns regarding my saddle and his back.  She had a quick look at the saddle first and noted some uneven wear on the back panels, one side is flatter than the other, she also checked the tree and thankfully the tree is sound.  She then measured Jack before having a look at the saddle on him and found that whilst it is the right size for him, as I suspected the saddle is tilting back putting more weight into the back of the saddle and causing some tightness and soreness in his back.  The good news is that with some re-flocking the saddle should be fine as it's general fit is ok and it is in pretty good condition.  I need a master saddler to do this so need to find someone local who can sort this for me fairly quickly. 
Next she assessed his musculature while he was static which I was pleased to hear is fairly evenly developed with no areas of under/over development or causes for concern.
After this she had a look at him walking and trotting in straight lines and turning a tight circle and noted he was dropping his left hip which could also be adding to Jack's lack of impulsion.  He still plants his off fore when asked to turn tightly to the right but this appears to be more out of habit than an actual problem.  As I have a current open claim on the off fore I will get the vet out to have another look and make sure they are still happy but he feels sound under saddle so I'm hoping it's not a big issue.

Rachael then worked on him to relieve the tension in his back and adjusted his pelvis then gave him an all over massage and stretch, which Jack mostly enjoyed!




She left us with a exercise plan and will see him again in 3 months unless we need her again sooner.

Following this Jack was returned to the field to relax for a couple of days, as instructed, before I rode him again on the Sunday afternoon and boy what a difference!!  We just went for a gentle hack as this was what Rachael recommended. He felt brilliant from the start, no stiffness or lack of forward momentum and plenty of energy. Like he should be! It was so nice to feel him stepping out, using his body and just feeling my normal Jack again!  I could not be happier with the results.

We did another couple of days of nice gentle hacks keeping him soft, relaxed and forward and he continued to feel great.

After another day off I schooled Jack Thursday night and he was again feeling so much better.  He still needed a bit of encouragement to work in the trot but there was definitely an improvement and when I asked for more this time he was responding where as before he just didn't change at all.  In the Canter work he felt amazing, he was really forward and light, stepping under himself and carrying himself beautifully.  I was so pleased with how he felt.  Luckily my friend Claire was riding at the same time and was able to capture some of his Canter work on film.  Watching it back he looks pretty good too so we seem to be back on the right track now!  I also like how you can see his core muscles working in these pics showing that he's engaging and lifting his core and working through his back :0)




Then yesterday morning I took him for an early morning ride in the huge stubble field we have use of over the Winter.  It was a lovely bright morning and we were out just after sun rise.  We started by just ambling round the field to check what the ground was like and it was pretty much perfect with a bit of give under foot but no hard or deep areas.  The fencing in the field is currently being replaced and there was a big pile of the old posts and rails in the middle of the field which Jack had a bit of a snort at so I took him over the have a look and a sniff so he knew they weren't going to eat him!  Once he had had a good walk round on each rein we had a trot then picked up Canter.  Recently even when we've been out I've been having to really kick Jack to get him going (one of the reasons I knew something was bothering him!) so I was absolutely delighted when he pick up a good Canter from the start, taking the bridle and not needing any encourgagement from me!  We got to the first corner and he just took off back up the field with me like a bat out of hell!!!  I was wooping with delight as we galloped up the field!  What a feeling!  We both had huge grins on our faces!  It is amazing that he feels well enough to really let loose and go for it, having a good gallop is so good for both body and mind and we both had an absolute blast flying round the field!  Great start to the day :0)

So next up Jack will have another day off and we still need to get his saddle sorted which is hopefully happening next week.  If anyone has any suggestions of a Master Saddler in the Derbyshire area that can come to us I would be greatful as we are struggling to get someone quickly.











No comments:

Post a Comment